BACON ENCRUSTED CHICKEN FINGERS AND NUGGETS
Makes 4 Servings, 2 strips or about 8 nuggets per serving
- 8 nitrate free bacon strips
- 8 chicken tenders
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cage free brown eggs
- 1 TB maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. You want the bacon crispy so it can be crumbled but not where it’s completely crisp because it will crisp up more when in the oven.
- While bacon is cooking, if you’re making nuggets, cut up 8 of the chicken tenders into 3-4 nuggets each.
- Dice the onion on a clean cutting board.
- Once the bacon is ready, remove the slices from pan and place on paper towels to soak up any excess fat. Keep the grease in the pan for the next couple of steps!
- Using the same pan add the chicken tenders or nuggets to the already warm bacon grease (you may need to do this in 2 batches). If there is not enough bacon grease in the pan add 1 TB of coconut oil melt down before adding the chicken. Sauté the chicken over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side so it is still slightly pink inside.
- While the chicken is cooking crumble the bacon over the paper towel. Next, combine the arrowroot flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and curry powder in a shallow, rimmed dish. Then whisk the eggs and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the pan and put on a clean cutting board or plate. Add the onions to remaining drippings in the pan and sautée until softened. Add a little salt and pepper and the crumbled bacon to the pan, mix and then remove from heat.
- Cover a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper or foil and then put a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with coconut oil spray or olive oil spray so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Set up an assembly line of your chicken, arrowroot mixture, egg mixture, bacon mixture (you can just keep in the pan so you don’t dirty another dish) and cookie sheet.
- Now it’s chicken dipping time! Take each individual chicken strip or nugget, cover them in the arrowroot flour, dip them in the egg mixture, cover them with bacon and place on the wire rack. Unfortunately, gravity happens and some of the bacon may fall off of the bottom of the chicken. No biggie! When it’s all finished it’s still yummy!
- Put the chicken in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. You want the chicken to be golden brown. If you don’t gobble them all up right away, let them completely cool before storing them.
*If following the 21 Day Fix eating plan each serving size uses the following containers: 1 Red.