BISON AND SWEET POTATO CHILI
4 Servings, 1.5 cups each
- Homemade Chili Seasoning:
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Chopped Onion or Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (no additives)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.25 lbs Ground Bison
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped (there should be 2 cups when finished, if not chop another one)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 – 4 oz can diced green chilies (no additives)
- 2 – 16 oz cans organic no salt added diced tomatoes (drain the cans)
- 1 – 16 oz can organic no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 TB Coconut Oil (for cooking)
- save a little of the cilantro and onions for garnish
- Make the chili seasoning and chop your potatoes, onion, and garlic.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the bison with half of the chili seasoning, then put in a non-stick skillet and brown it. If the bison is done cooking before you’ve completed step 3, drain the fat and set the skillet aside until you’re ready for step 4.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt the coconut oil and add the onion and saute until softened. Add the garlic, green chilies, sweet potatoes, & half of the remaining chili seasoning. Cover and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir the potatoes every 1-2 minutes so they get soft and not crispy from being in the same spot for too long.
- Next, add the browned bison into the pot and stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chopped cilantro. Taste for spice. If it’s not too spicy for your taste buds add the remaining chili seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or longer if you want the flavors to blend more.
- Serve 1.5 cups of the chili in a bowl and garnish with more chopped cilantro and diced onions.
*If you are following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, this would count towards the following containers: 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 teaspoon.