BUTTERNUT SQUASH, KALE AND BACON EGG BAKE
- 12 cage free brown eggs
- 12 nitrate free bacon slices
- 1.5 cups organic kale (or enough to make one layer of the entire baking dish)
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, diced into small pieces (or enough to make one layer of the entire baking dish)
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 4 TB unsweetened almond milk or water
- Seasoning to taste: fresh or dried basil, garlic powder, thyme, oregeno, ground sea salt and ground black pepper.
- coconut or olive oil spray
- Preaheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make Bacon: Cover a cookie sheet/jelly roll pan with foil and place wire baking rack on top. Put all slices on top of rack and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- While the bacon is in the oven, spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with coconut oil spray, and cover entire bottom of the dish with one layer of the kale. (Remember to remove any woody/hard pieces because they are hard to eat. Or keep them in if you like that part!)
- Cover the kale with the butternut squash chunks then the onion slices.
- Once the bacon is cooked, cut into smaller pieces and place on top of veggies.
- Wisk all eggs in a large mixing bowl & add in almond milk. Wisk again. Then add all seasonings and lightly wisk one more time.
- Pour eggs over the veggies and bacon in the baking dish. Make sure all ingredients are covered by the eggs to prevent from burning. It’s ok if they are not completely under the eggs, but make sure those ingredients have at least been moistened.
- Place baking dish on center rack in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes. Check that the eggs are completely cooked (if you poke a toothpick or fork in the middle, the eggs shouldn’t be runny) at the 45 minute mark and check every 5 minutes afterwards to see if it’s finished.
- Let the dish sit for a few minutes to cool before cutting into 6 equal pieces and serving. Enjoy!
*If you are following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, this would count towards the following containers: 1 green and 2 red