COCONUT GINGER CARROT SOUP WITH CHICKEN SAUSAGE
4 Servings, 2 cups per serving
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 TB ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ground sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth (start with 3 and add more if soup is too thick after blending)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (leave the “water” in the can)
- 4 – 4oz chicken sausages, cooked and sliced on angle
- red pepper flakes to taste
- unsweetened coconut chips or unsweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced ginger, coriander and salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 more minutes stirring often until onions are softened.
- Add the carrots. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add the broth and bring everything to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In batches, puree carrots and broth in a food processor (or use an immersion blender). Put the soup back in the pot and back on the stove. Add the coconut milk and stir until completely blended. If the soup is too thick add more broth and puree again.
- For each serving, garnish 2 cups of soup with 1 cooked chicken sausage that has been sliced on an angle, 2 TB coconut chips or shredded coconut, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
*If following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, each serving uses the following containers: 2 Green, 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 teaspoon.