I’ve realized something, it’s not easy to take photos of soup! Especially when all of your bowls are square like mine. But this soup was just too good, so I took a photo to share with you. The picture may not be the best, but once you start smelling the veggies mixed with cumin, oregano and lime zest as the soup is cooking, your mouth will definitely begin to drool and you’ll have to hold yourself back from eating it all up in one sitting!
Chicken, Veggie and Lime Soup
Serves about 6, 2-cup servings
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 large organic carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 3 organic sweet bell peppers (I used red, green and yellow peppers), chopped
- 1 can organic sodium free fire roasted diced tomatoes
- mix of 1 TB dried oregano, 1 TB cumin, zest of 1 lime, 1 tsp ground sea salt, and 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups organic free-range chicken broth (I prefer Trader Joe’s brand because it has the least additives)
- 5 cups organic baby spinach
- 1 large lime, zested and juiced
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once warm, add 2 TB extra virgin olive oil and swirl pot until base is completely covered with the oil. Add the diced onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the diced jalapeno and garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the carrots, celery and bell peppers to the pot and add grind a little sea salt and black pepper over the veggies. Mix and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften and become fragrant.
- In the meantime, zest the lime into a small bowl and mix with the oregano, cumin, sea salt and pepper (the best way to mix is to use a small wire whisk). Use about half of the seasoning mix as a dry rub for both sides of the chicken.
- When the veggies have slightly softened and become fragrant, add the entire can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and the remaining of the seasoning mix to the veggies and mix in. Then add the 4 chicken breasts and cover with 4 cups of chicken broth. If the broth does not cover the veggies and chicken completely, either add in more broth or 1-2 cups of water.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring the broth to a light boil. Once it’s boiling, lower the heat, cover, and allow the soup to simmer for at least an hour until the chicken has been cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- When the chicken is done, remove the breasts from the pot and shred on a cutting board using 2 forks. Before you start shredding, add the baby spinach to the pot, mix in with the other veggies, recover the pot and allow to continue simmering while you are shredding the chicken.
- Once the chicken is shredded, add back to the pot and stir in so it is mixed well in with the veggies. Then add the juice from the lime to the pot, mix in and serve. I suggest added a little bit of cilantro as garnish to add in a little extra flavoring.
- Enjoy 🙂
*If following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, 1 serving counts towards the following containers: 2 green and 1 red.