ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLE AND CHICKEN BISQUE
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large carrots, chopped into half moons
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 lb turnips, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced* (white and light green parts only)
- 1 fennel bulb*, sliced (save fronds for garnish)
- 4 garlic cloves, diced or minced
- 2 TB dried rosemary, divided
- 2 TB dried thyme, divided
- ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk (shake before opening)
- 6 cups shredded chicken
*You can use celery in place of the leek and fennel if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the carrots, sweet potatoes, rutabaga and turnips and put in a large bowl. Then add in 1 TB of the extra virgin olive oil, 1 TB each of the dried rosemary and thyme, and a little ground sea salt and ground black pepper. Toss in the bowl and put the veggies on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are tender and slightly browned. (If they are finished before the following steps, remove from the oven and set aside until needed)
- While the veggies are roasting, cut up the remaining veggies.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once warm, add remaining extra virgin olive oil, add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and sauté for one more minute. Next add the fennel and leeks and sauté for another 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the dried rosemary and thyme, then whisk in the vegetable broth. Turn the heat to medium high and bring the soup to a light boil.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next, stir the roasted vegetables into the broth and blend using an immersion blender or food processor in batches. Put the pot back on the stove over medium-low heat and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until desired temperature.
- To serve, pour 2 cups of the bisque into a soup bowl, add 3/4 cup of the shredded chicken and garnish with the fennel fronds (or use parsley or cilantro if desired).
*If you freeze any leftovers, freeze the bisque and chicken in separate baggies or containers.
**If you are following the 21 Day Fix program, this is equivalent to 1 red and 2 green containers.