I love egg bakes! Want to know why? Because not only are they the easiest thing to make, but I can make them on Sunday and then Jeff and I have at least 4 breakfasts a week for both of us ready to go! This way as we’re scrambling to get ready in the morning I don’t have to cook us breakfast and clean up from it! We don’t even have to use a plate because I portion it out into individual containers, so we can heat it up on our own when we’re ready to eat it. Ahhh, the easy meal. I love it!
- 1 LB ground sausage (I use Whole Foods Italian Sausage that is found in the meat department because they don’t add any sugar like most brands)
- 5 or 6 oz bag of organic spinach
- 16 oz bag of frozen mixed peppers and onions, defrosted
- 2 dozen cage free eggs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ground sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- coconut or olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, spray lightly with cooking spray, add ground sausage and cook until sausage is browned. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break into small crumbles while cooking.
- While the sausage is cooking, spray a 9×13 glass baking dish or large casserole dish with the cooking spray and layer in the spinach and the mixed peppers & onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until all the yolk is broken up, add the Italian seasoning, sea salt and pepper to the eggs and whisk to blend.
- When the sausage is done cooking, add it to the spinach and peppers, then pour in the eggs. To make sure that everything is covered by the eggs, you may need to push down the meat and veggies to be covered.
- Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the middle and the casserole is firm, not runny.
- Allow the egg bake to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
*If you’re following the 21 day meal plan, this is equivalent to 1 green and 2 red containers.