When shopping at Aldi’s for the week, I was super excited to see frozen peaches, so I had to pick up a bag to try them in one of our shakes. Peaches are probably my favorite fruit of all time, and of course are impossible to find fresh in February. But since I think that frozen fruit works better in shakes, these were perfect!! Jeff’s eyes lit up when I told him this morning that we would be having shakes for breakfast and that there were peaches in them. I think he even drank his before I was done making a shake for myself!
I used to never be one to drink a lot of protein shakes. I think because I had a lot of misperceptions about them:
- I used to think that only bodybuilders drank them and they were to ADD weight on you.
- I thought ALL protein powders had extra crap added to them like corn syrup and words I couldn’t pronounce.
- I thought that protein shakes would ALWAYS hurt my stomach.
- I thought that drinking a protein shake could NEVER be a good meal replacement because it never filled me up.
Boy was I wrong!! I discovered Shakeology for myself about 4 months ago and I will now NEVER go back to any other kind of shake! This drink has actually helped me lose a little weight, is 100% natural with more than the daily required vitamins (plus it uses the whole vitamin not just a piece of it), it never hurts my stomach like every other shake I’ve encountered, and every time I drink it it completely fills me up and makes a perfect breakfast or snack replacement.
I used to also only think that they should be made with water and shaken in a shaker. I never realized that you could add things to them to help them not only taste better but also add a little extra nutritional value. I usually like to add fruit and use canned coconut milk for added creaminess when I want it to be more like a milk shake. So, putting the peaches, vanilla extract, a little bit of oats and of course the coconut milk made for 2 perfect shakes today!
On a quick side note, please excuse the fact that these photos are a little blurry. That’s what happens when you take photos really early in the morning with a camera phone instead of a regular camera when you don’t have the best light source!
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1 TB organic oats
- 1 cup frozen peach slices
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (I used Shakeology)
- 8 oz canned light coconut milk (leave the “water” in the can)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and one frozen peach slice, chopped (optional)
- In a blender, combine all 6 ingredients until blended and thick. For a thinner shake add less ice, for a thicker shake add more. When blended to desired consistency pour into your favorite large glass and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and one frozen peach slice that has been chopped. Add a straw for a non-messy drink and enjoy!
If you’re following the 21 Day Fix or PiYo eating plan, this would be considered 1 protein (red container) and 1 fruit (purple container).