This is the shake I talked about overflowing in my last Food Prep Sunday post. It wasn’t an epic fail to say the least, but it kind of shocked me at first. I semi-screamed when it spilled all over, and Jeff came running in from the living room thinking something happened to me. I think he was a little disappointed when he realized it wasn’t a big catastrophe and he wasn’t able to save the day. At least he offered to help clean it up!
I wish there was some exciting thing to talk about when posting a recipe about a protein smoothie. But there really isn’t. The best thing I can say about it, is that since it’s hard to find good, inexpensive, fresh organic blueberries in February, I’m so happy that Aldi’s has them frozen for only $2.29 a bag. Actually, I was shocked to see that they have a lot of organic foods there, including fresh veggies and grass fed beef! I never thought Aldi’s would carry all natural food items, but I’m so glad they do. I’ve actually been shopping more and more there over the last month since I discovered this, which now makes my shopping trips even longer because I’m still going to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s for other items too. Oh well, going to 3 stores is worth it for clean, healthy foods that cost me less than $100 a week on two adults!
This week Aldi’s started carrying organic quinoa, which I was super excited about. I saw it in the mailer, and when I got to the store I couldn’t find it at first, so I asked one of the employees where it was. She looked at me like I was crazy because she didn’t know what I was talking about. I explained to her that it looks like little balls of rice, and then she remembered unpacking it. I’ve been eating quinoa for so long, that I forget that not everyone knows what it is! Maybe we both learned something new today?
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 TB unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 serving vegan strawberry protein powder (I used Shakeology)
- 8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- garnish with a few unsweetened coconut ships and frozen blueberries (optional)
- In a blender, combine all 6 ingredients until blended and thick. For a thinner shake add less ice, for a thicker shake add more. When blended to desired consistency pour into your favorite large glass and garnish with a few unsweetened coconut ships and frozen blueberries. Add a straw for a non-messy drink and enjoy!
If you’re following the 21 Day Fix or PiYo eating plan, this would be considered 1 protein (red container), 1 fruit (purple container), and 1 oil (orange container).