This last week has been a slow one for me when it comes to posting, although it seems like the week went by really fast! Spring Forward really messed up my sleep schedule on Sunday night giving me complete insomnia, so I wound up sleeping for 3 hours Monday afternoon. Then I was still catching up on sleep on Tuesday with another 3 hour nap, so finally yesterday I was all caught up. In the meantime, Jeff has been sick with a bad cold, and I have 2 new job opportunities that I’m really excited about. I have a meeting on Monday for one of them, and an interview where I’ll be giving a huge 20 minute presentation for the other one. Since both are early in the works, I won’t go into too much detail yet, but I’m excited about them both!
On to the protein smoothie… I love anything that has to do with bananas. My favorite is the banana pudding that my grandmother used to make before she lost her sight. Unfortunately, she can’t see well enough to cook anymore, but I used to LOVE going over to her house for the holidays just so I could have her banana pudding. Wouldn’t you know it, she never wrote down her recipe and every time I’ve asked her for it, she can’t remember the exact measurements because she did it from memory every time, so no more banana goodness with vanilla wafers. Although these days I don’t eat vanilla wafers and the pudding would have too much sugar in it! Her pudding used to taste like inside of a banana cream pie, and since I love the flavor of coconut too, I combined them both to make this delicious, creamy, indulgent yet healthy banana coconut cream pie protein smoothie 🙂
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1/2 banana
- 2 TB unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (I used Shakeology)
- 8 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- garnish with a few unsweetened coconut ships and banana slices (optional)
- In a blender, combine all 6 ingredients until blended and thick. For a thinner shake add less ice, for a thicker shake add more. When blended to desired consistency pour into your favorite large glass and garnish with a few unsweetened coconut ships and banana slices. Add a straw for a non-messy drink and enjoy!
If you’re following the 21 Day Fix or PiYo eating plan, this would be considered 1 protein (red container), 1 fruit (purple container), and 1 oil (orange container).